Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Musée Cognacq-Jay

Today my Haute Couture class was at the musée Cognacq-Jay in the Marais (the Jewish neighborhood).  This museum was created to show the collection of Ernest Cognacq and his wife Marie-Louise Jay.  They were they creators of one of the first department stores in Paris, but they were fascinated with the 16th century and the court of Versailles.  They amassed a large collection of 16th century pieces that they donated to the state when they died.  This trip was so much more interesting than my museum trip with my art history class because I love the period of Marie Antoinette and I love seeing the way they lived in that era.  I also love my teacher and the way that he makes everything fun.  Every story he told us about the paintings or the furniture was interesting and entertaining, so I enjoyed the whole trip.  We saw several paintings, sculptures, china pieces, and lots of furniture from the times of Louis the 15th and 16th.  My favorite part was seeing Marie Antoinette's bed and learning more about her personality as Queen.  








No comments:

Post a Comment