Saturday, June 8, 2013

So Much Free Time...


I was supposed to start my internship this week, on Monday, but nothing ever happens on time here in France.  On my first day of work, I showed up to the office about ten minutes early and was told to wait in the waiting area because my boss was not there yet.  My “office” has a few different companies all on the same floor so there are always people there working, but not from my company.  I waited for about 45 minutes until my boss finally showed up and told me that I wasn’t supposed to start until Thursday.  Apparently her mother was getting an operation the next day and she needed to be with her.  I was supposed to get an email from someone but that never happened, so she showed me where I will be working and then sent me away to go “enjoy my free time.”  On Thursday, I arrived at the office again and was let in by an old man who told me that my boss was not coming in today and that she emailed me to tell me not to come.  I don’t have a data plan for my iPhone here, so I can only check my email when I have wifi.  I went all the way back home and found out that by boss had emailed me at 8:30 in the morning (an hour and a half before I have to leave) telling me that her mom was still sick and that I should just send her an email summarizing my mission at the company.  This really confused me because I haven’t even started at the company yet and no one has told me what my mission is going to be.  Thankfully, my boss is really sweet and she understands that I don’t speak fluent French, so when I emailed her back saying that I was confused about what she wanted from me, she just said to come in on Monday and we will figure everything out.  Basically, as annoying as it was to get all ready in the morning and run across Paris with my giant laptop for no reason, it has been nice to have the week off.  I've been sleeping quite a lot and walking around this beautiful city of mine.  Who could ask for anything better? 

No comments:

Post a Comment