Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Minor Adjustments

Having lived in France for four months prior to this experience, I should be used to the French style of procrastination and blatant disregard for doing anything in a timely manner.  Unfortunately, I lived in an apartment with all American students and went to an American based school in Paris, so I didn’t exactly have to deal with real French people that often.  This time I am living with a French woman in her apartment and am working at a French company.  So many more French habits to adjust to than last time.  My personal favorite was when the toilet broke in our apartment and didn’t get fixed for six days.  I would ask my host mother what was taking so long and she’d say that she called the plumber every day but couldn’t get anyone to come fix it.  This still makes absolutely no sense to me since there has to be hundreds of plumbers in this city and surely one of them was available any of the six days that we went without a flusher.  When I catch myself thinking this way, I have to stop and remember: it doesn’t have to make sense, this is France.  

My latest French debacle involves my wonderful, though possible make-believe, internship.  After last week’s false start, I was excited to finally get to know my company and begin having a real work week.  Yesterday, I was all set to meet my boss at 2:30 after her client meeting when I received a text informing me that she was not going back to the office afterwards and that I should just meet her today at the normal time (11am).  This morning I got up, showered, and got all ready to go in when my phone went off and the universe laughed at me once again.  My boss now apparently has a fever and will be in bed all day and possibly tomorrow.  Is this a joke?  If so the universe has a ridiculous sense of humor.  I am now going to be working from home today, which is better than nothing, translating the company’s website into English and checking Facebook every 5-10 minutes out of boredom.  At least I get to wear sweatpants :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment