Wednesday, June 12, 2013

A Little Taste of Home

On Monday, my friend Chloe and I both had off of work so we decided to meet up for lunch in the Latin Quarter.  While wandering the streets looking for a place to eat, we stumbled upon this strange woman in rollerblades that seemed to jump out at me as I turned the corner.  On closer inspection, we saw that it was an advertisement for a 50s inspired American diner.  It was so cute, we had to try it, and I am so glad that we did.  The menu had all the diner classics like burgers and milkshakes, and even had a section for "New York bagels."  The waitress spoke perfect English, which is always slightly annoying when you're trying to practice your French, but it did add to the American feel of the place.  I had the best avocado burger ever and a chocolate milkshake that tasted a little like peanut butter.  It's hard to explain just how good it feels to have a real American hamburger when you've been living on baguettes and pasta for the past three weeks.  It's my own fault that I can't cook anything for myself, and I do love the meals I have at French restaurants.  I'm not complaining but that meal just really made my day.  




After our meal, we walked around a little bit and found some people giving free massages in a little square by a church.  I was a little skeptical at first, but it seemed that they were there to practice from some school, so we gave it a try.  I don't know if it was just because I've been sleeping on a rock for three weeks or because I've been walking hundreds of miles a day, but that massage was the best I have ever received.  After my free ten minute rub down, my body felt like butter and I happily strolled over to the Luxembourg Garden where we sat on the grass and wondered how we ever got so lucky (at least I did).  




No comments:

Post a Comment