Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Exploring and Learning

On Saturday, I took a day off from life and just stayed in my apartment all day and caught up on some of my T.V. shows.  Then, on Sunday, my roommates and I ventured out into the pouring rain to do some exploring.  One of my roommates' friend was here for the weekend so we took her to see the Louvre and the Tuileries gardens and then we went to the Chateau de Vincennes.  The Chateau is three metro stops away from us, but we had never gone over to see it yet.  It was in the middle of a neighborhood, as so many random old churches and castles are in Paris, and it was clearly so much older than everything around it.  There was a draw bridge outside and a huge courtyard inside with a church attached to the Palace.  We didn't want to pay to go in, so we just walked around the courtyard and took pictures.  Then, we went to a café across the street to get in from the freezing rain and to eat lunch.  I of course had duck again, and then afterwards we just went home and did homework for the rest of the night.  






On Monday, we had a field trip for my Haute Couture class.  We met at the Tuileries and then did a walking tour of the many famous original Haute Couture shops.  We saw the original Chanel store that Mademoiselle herself started along with the door to her apartment where she lived above the store.  We learned a lot about the history of the shops we saw and the area were we walked around.  It was fun getting out of the classroom and seeing everything the teacher was talking about first hand.   

Yesterday, I had class in the afternoon, and then I went out to dinner with my friend C.J. from high school who is also studying here this semester.  We had dinner at a restaurant in the Latin Quarter and then we walked around the Seine to see it at night.  We ended up walking through the courtyard of the Louvre on our way back to the Metro and we got to see the pyramids all lit up.  They were so pretty and I'm so glad we went there because I have only seen them in the day and this was way better (plus there were no people around which is never the case there).






Today, we had another field trip for Haute Couture, this time to the Musée Carnavalet.  This museum was really cool because each of the rooms were themed to the items displayed in that room.  It started off with Renaissance and then moved all the way to the period of Marie Antoinette. I liked seeing the different ways rooms were designed in each period and it gave more of a unique feel to the furniture and paintings being shown.  I love seeing artifacts from these time periods because I am fascinated with history and how people lived back then.  








After the museum, I had to go to the movies with my French class.  We saw "Camille Redouble" which was the story of a woman who is able to travel back in time and learn some important lessons from her past.  The movie was all in French, so it was somewhat frustrating trying to follow the story, but it was also kind of a fun challenge.  I think it is so funny that that was my class for the day, seeing a movie.  I had two classes today and I never even stepped foot in my school.  I love having these excursions and they definitely make school more fun.  

No comments:

Post a Comment