Tuesday, December 4, 2012

In the Land of Ire

This weekend I went to Ireland to visit my friend from high school who is studying in Galway.  I flew into Dublin airport and then took a 3 hour bus ride across the country to Galway.  It was a long journey but it was worth it because I had such a fun couple of days.  It was nice to get out of the city for the weekend and have a relaxing visit to a small town.  Galway is really pretty and the people were all very friendly.  It is all decorated for christmas right now, and there is a christmas market in the center of town that we went to for crepes and hot chocolate a few times.  











I arrived Friday afternoon and spent the rest of the day hanging out with my friend in her apartment.  At night, we went to one of her friend's apartments and hung out with a bunch of people for a while before going to a pub to see the Irish people in their natural habitat.  On Saturday morning, we walked around the Christmas market and got breakfast there.  Then, we went on a tour of the Cliffs of Moher.  The cliffs are about an hour and a half away from Galway, so we had a tour bus and spent the whole afternoon exploring the cliffs and learning different things about the area from our bus driver on the way there and back.  When we got back Saturday night, we got dinner and then went to another pub to see some live Irish music.  The atmosphere was so much fun and the adorable old men playing traditional music topped it all off.  


















On Sunday morning, my friend took me around to shop for souvenirs and to see more of the town.  I bought a traditional Irish wool sweater and some great Christmas presents.  We went to a bunch of cute little shops in the town square and then got lunch before I had to head back to Dublin for my flight.  It was so refreshing to be in a place where everyone is so friendly and genuinely nice.  I also loved speaking English everywhere and having food that I am used to having at home.  I had a great weekend and I definitely hope to go back to Ireland in my lifetime.  

No comments:

Post a Comment